Nationals’ Trea Turner apologizes for ‘insensitive’ old tweets

NationalsshortstopTrea Turner, runner-up in NL Rookie of the Year voting in 2016, apologized Sunday after old tweets he described as “insensitive and offensive” surfaced from when he was 18.The since-deletedtweets, dating to 2011 and ’12, included gayslurs, homophobic comments and at least one joke with racist undertones, according to multiple reports.Turner’sstatement i sued Sunday night (via The Washington Post):”There are no excuses for my insensitive and offensive language on Twitter. I am sincerely sorry https://www.twinsedge.com/minnesota-twins/jose-berrios-jersey for those tweets and apologize wholeheartedly. I believe people who know me understand those regrettable actions do not reflect my values or who I am. But I understand the hurtful nature of such language and https://www.twinsedge.com/minnesota-twins/michael-pineda-jersey am sorry to have brought any negative light to the Nationals organization, myself or the game I love.”Nationals GM Mike Rizzo, in turn, i sued a statement, saying he had spoken with Turner, describing the tweets as “inexcusable” but adding that Turner, 25, “has been a good teammate and model citizen in our clubhouse, and these comments are not indicative of how he has conducted himself while part of our team.”Statement from Nationals President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Mike Rizzo: pic.twitter.com/mqFa24aix2 Washington Nationals (@Nationals) July 30, 2018Turner’s old tweets were posted by a Twitter user who cited earlier old, Anibal Sanchez Jersey offensive tweets by Braves pitcher Sean Newcomb posted by a Nats fan account. Newcombe, 25, lost ano-hitter in the ninth inningSunday, but it was overshadowed by the social media storm created by his offensive tweets as an 18-year-old.Newcomb apologized for the tweets, and MLB announced that the Billy Bean, its inclusion amba sador, would meet with Newcomb this week.Turner, who is batting .265 with 13 home runs and 43 RBIs, likely will get a visit from Bean, as well.